Interview with Ketaki Dave
- What made you take on the role of Ketaki Masi in Ram Milaayi Jodi? What did you like about your role?
The role appealed to me primarily because it is a very strong one. She is someone who has a great belief in her values i.e. her sanskaar. She cannot stand to see any wrong done around her and that is why she tries so hard to set everything right - so much so that she even throws her own son out of the house when he marries outside the. While some may find her highly traditional and conservative in her attitude, what you see her doing on the show, stems out of her strong, at times rigid, belief system. She loves her younger sister dearly and tries to ensure that all goes well in her sister's life.
- Tell us a little about your experience working with the co-stars, particularly Krutika and Nimisha Vakharia. You seem to have a Gujarati club on the sets!?!
Ofcourse! It is always fun to work with people who you have heard so much about in the industry. Nimisha is a very dear friend and I have known her since my early days in theatre. Krutika, also, I have known for a while now. Our parents are friends but I have never had the chance of working with her. Both Krutika and Nimisha are very sincere people. It just helps me to better my performance as an actor when I work in such a wonderful atmosphere.
- You have been known for your comic timing in the various roles that you have played. Do you miss comedy?
As an actress, experimentation is very important as you cannot play similar roles over and over again. It is true that I have come to be known for my comic timing but to be frank, that was just something that I brought into each role. If you see, many of the roles that I play are actually quite serious characters with dark shades at times, but the comic side of the character was all my doing. Improvising lines on the set and adding my own spontaneous touch to each role is the real gratification for an actor.
- Anything interesting from your exchanges with Sara Khan? Any observations about her?
Sara's a talented young actress who's achieved so much at a young age. I think it's very commendable that someone her age should have so many successes to her credit. She's pleasant on the sets though we have only had a limited interaction so far.
- Is this the first time you are working with Zee?
Not at all. If you remember, there was a popular show on Zee TV some years back called Hasratein. I used to play the role of Mansi in the same show. Even the character had become quite popular.
- In terms of roles, what is your forte and what do you find most challenging? Light comedy roles or dark serious roles? Films, theatre? What do you enjoy the most?
I really love doing comic roles 'cos comedy is something that comes naturally to me. Although every new role that I play is a challenge, I try to play it to the best of my abilities. As a medium, I love all three of them! (Film, TV & Theatre) as they are so very different from each other. In theatre, you dedicate 3 hours in a day to your performance and rehearse all day. For TV, you become your character for days on end as you are shooting daily. Films however allow you the most quality time to work on your character and better enhance it. There is so much to learn in all three.
- What is your dream role? Do you have any particular roles that you would like to play?
I think my dream role would be that of Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. I love the way her character transforms from a crass flower girl to a lovely polished lady.
I would also love to play the role that Nargis had in Mother India. She is such a strong lady who is willing to do anything for her children even to the extent of having to sacrifice her child at the end of it!
- What are the other projects you have in the pipeline? Movies?
As of now I do not have any other project in the pipeline since I believe in concentrating on one project at a time so at the moment Ram Milaayi Jodi takes up all my waking hours. Before this, I just finished doing a play which was immensely popular!
- Are you performing at Zee Rishtey awards? If yes, what are you performing to?
Yes, I do believe that I am performing at the Zee Rishtey Awards. I have this vampish performance. But I guess you will have to wait and watch!